Friday 4 April 2008

Some English for thought

Came across this in The Star: Star Two today
so, if I have not interpreted it wrongly
am I right to say that the author is saying that the word 'Barbeque' is correctly pronounced as 'Bar-Bik'?
hmm...this really surprises me ...so I (and many others I guess) have wrongly pronounced this yummy word for such a long long time (ever since I knew the word)?!

and so...with my curiosity...I look up the Oxford dictionary...btw, this is not the oldest version I have, but it's quite old already really...I've always taken dictionaries as good references to check for pronunciation of words...
so Oxford's saying the pronunciation is 'bar-bi-kew' as you can see...so now, which one's wrong and which one's right? *are you not confuse already by now?;PP* pronunciation doesnt change that much with time I suppose? ah well, English language - it can be idiosyncratic...it can be chaotic really...;PPP
and here's something from the same article which I find useful as well...a common mistake...
and my posts are often filled with all sorts of English mistakes (I love excuse; am not a native speaker;PP)...grammar and spelling mistakes must be so common..and I am learning so much by putting down my thoughts in words, when I pen things down...

1 comment:

Panda said...

english is not my language too...
i' not a native speaker TOO!!!
but its just an excuse...
many people who aren't native speakers could speak as well as foreigners, caucasians of course...
i'm always having a hard time with the tenses...
i'll just put what i think is right even tho its not....
i rely too much on microsoft word's grammer check that i'm getting more and more careless about my grammer....
sigh....
at least you could survive overseas... i wonder if i could???